We love making perfect rice and serving it on top of nori with Sriracha or Sriracha Mayo. What a quick and perfect appetizer to serve along with some green tea.
You can see how each granule is separate in this sushi rice. It’s perfectly cooked, not overcooked and simply delicious!
1 cup sushi rice
1 cup plus 2 TBSP water
2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 TBSP plus 1 tsp sugar
1 scant tsp kosher salt
2 inch square of kombu, optional
Sriracha Mayo or Sriracha
Nori pieces, for serving
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and kombu, if using. Heat gently until salt and sugar are dissolved. Set aside.
- Rinse the rice really well. Add rinsed rice to the pot and add 1 cup plus 2 TBSP. Bring to boil, cover with a tightly fitting lid, reduce to simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 7-10 minutes to steam.
- Remove rice to a plate and spread in a single layer. Season with prepared rice vinegar. Keep it spread out until rice cools.
- We love shaping this rice into balls or nigiri ovals and serving on top of nori pieces with Sriracha or Sriracha Mayo.
- To make Sriracha Mayo, add 1/4 cup Mayo, 1 TBSP Sriracha and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix well.