This is not just a quick combination of potatoes, eggs and Mayo. We are actually focusing on some simple techniques which will result in the most tender eggs, perfectly cooked potatoes and just overall a great potato salad!
5 lbs yellow potatoes (we need a waxy potato, not Russet)
One bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
3 celery stalks, small dice
1 onion, small dice
One bunch radishes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups Mayo
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp relish, optional
1 1/2 tsp fine salt, or more as needed
¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub potatoes, place them in a pot, and cover them with water. Simmer on medium-low until they are cooked and can be easily pierced with a fork. You are not trying to make fall apart mashed potatoes here, but you also don’t want crunchy potatoes in your salad. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and dry. Chop potatoes into small cubes.
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil (just shy of the full boil, but a steady simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit in hot water and very gently cook for 20 minutes. Then place them in cold water for a minute and peel them immediately after. Chop into large chunks.
- Combine dressing ingredients – mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and optional relish.
- Combine all salad ingredients and gently toss.
- Add the dressing, only about half at first, and gently toss. Keeping adding more dressing to taste.
- Chill salad for a couple of hours for the flavors to meld. Taste and adjust salt and pepper before serving. Enjoy!