The difficulty with a dish like this is executing it perfectly. It only contains a few ingredients and your skill should shine through. It’s not about sauces or additions. It’s about creating a perfect rice that is chewy, aromatic, crunchy in spots with each grain separated.
We use very little soy sauce (feel free to add Soy Sauce, Sriracha, whatever you like to your individual plate,) to prevent it from going soggy. The additions provide crunch and aroma, but don’t overpower what is undeniably a star in this dish – rice!
2 cups uncooked white rice
1/4 cup vegetable oil (might need less)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
bunch of green onions (about 8), thinly sliced; white parts and green parts divided
5 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 TBSP soy sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 large eggs and 2 egg yolks, lightly whisked
1 cup frozen peas
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Be sure to rinse your rice really well prior to cooking. Do not overcook. Spread on a large platter (I use a half sheet) and allow it to cool. Make sure the rice is not clumped up and separate it. Ideally, use a fan to speed up the cooling process.
- Preheat wok for 2 minutes on high until very hot. We will have to cook the rice in 3-4 batches. That toasted, chewy and crunchy in spots texture cannot be achieved if we overcrowd the wok. Add about 2 tsp of oil to the work and 1/3 or 1/4 of the rice. Cook for about 3.5 minutes tossing until crisp in spots, aromatic and golden in spots. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining batches.
- Add 2 tsp of oil to the wok and add eggs. Scramble lightly with a spatula. Remove to the plate with rice.
- Add 2 tsp to an empty hot wok (the cooked rice in step 2 is set aside on a plate.) Add carrots, onions, white parts of green onions and garlic to the wok. Cook for 1.5 minutes until aromatic. Return rice and egg back to the wok and toss to combine. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add frozen peas and green parts of green onions. Toss to combine and cook until peas are thawed. Every grain of rice should be separate!! Enjoy!