I got inspired to create this recipe by our local spa. They served the most amazing bran muffins. So I had to re-create them (but make them even better.) So here it is! They taste so wholesome and delicious!
Blueberry Bran Muffins
1 ½ cups wheat bran
½ cup oat bran
1 cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
2 medium, very ripe bananas
⅓ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tbsp flax seed
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp cinnamon
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup pecan pieces
⅓ cup apple or blueberry jam
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- Mix buttermilk, wheat bran, and oat bran and set aside for at least 5 minutes to soak.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda, set aside.
- Dust nuts with a teaspoon or so of your flour mixture, which will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin, and set them aside.
- In a large bowl mash bananas, add sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, ground flax seeds, flax seeds, and cinnamon, and mix well. Stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Sift the flour mixture into the batter and start gently folding with a rubber spatula.
- Add blueberries and nuts while you are folding. Make sure not to overmix and mix only until combined.
- Fold in jam; it doesn’t need to be folded in perfectly – you still want to see streaks of it.
- Divide the batter between muffin tins and bake in preheated oven for 19-21 minutes. The toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin should come out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs, not wet batter.
- Cool for 5 minutes then turns out into a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!